Graeme Cree's Zork Zero bugs page
- In version 296, you can't PUT things IN GONDOLA.
- In versions 296 and 366, when you're sitting, GET ON MY FEET works, but STAND ON MY FEET says it's useless.
- In versions 296 through 383, in the presence of the dirigible you can
THROW HANDS FROM GONDOLA. You get, "You fling your hands out of the gondola."
- In all versions, DRINK FROM LAKE causes a crash. The Infocom
interpreter produces some odd visual effects, but Frotz exits with "Fatal
error: Stack overflow".
- In all versions, if you PUT HAND THROUGH DOOR or PORTCULLIS, you get,
"You missed.", and your hand falls to the floor. If you PUT HAND THROUGH
WINDOW or MURDER HOLE, your hand falls to the outside location below. It
doesn't show in the description, but from then on you can only interact with
your hand in that location.
- In all versions, you can end up at Underwater without drowning. Leave
the pigeon on the chessboard, pick up the perch with the waldo, start descending
in the bathsyphere, wear the cloak, then get the pigeon. This teleports the
player to Underwater, but outside the bathysphere. The sphere disappears after a
bit. Objects can be picked up and dropped in this room, and they do not sink,
despite the fact that if you are inside the bathysphere and drop an object from
the waldo in the room Underwater, the object sinks to Lake Bottom. The jester can
even appear in Underwater, you can send a chess piece there, and you can even be
eaten by a grue there. If you are standing in Underwater and try to open the
bathysphere to re-enter it, the game responds as if you opened the sphere while
you were still inside it--immediate drowning. --Marco Cavagna
- In all versions, if you EMPTY, READ, or WEAR something you're not carrying,
ZAP something WITH it, or AIM it AT something, you pick it up. You can use
these to pick up the ceramic pigeon without teleporting.
- In all versions, the fish tank is closable. You can PUT objects IN the
closed fish tank, but you can't see or interact with them.
- In all versions, once you have opened the small louvered door
containing the Tower of Bozbar, you can PUT things IN SOUTH DOOR, even though
you're told it's closed. Anything you PUT there is no longer visible, but you
can GET it FROM SOUTH DOOR.
- In all versions, if the candle is lit, then LIGHT CANDLE says, "It already
is!", but BURN CANDLE says, "[with the candle] You relight the candle."
- In all versions, you can WEAR the ring of ineptitude when you're
already wearing it.
- In all versions, you can CONSULT anything ABOUT anything. You get, "You
begin flipping the pages... You can't read about things in [object]." If you
READ ABOUT something outside the library you get, "You begin flipping through
the pages... There's no encyclopedia here to look it up in."
- In all versions, if you REACH IN an open container such as BAG or CRATE,
you get, "There's nothing in the [container].", true or not.
- All versions have a parser bug that can show up if you're carrying more
than one key. Here's how it works:
The door is locked.
[What do you want to unlock it with?]
[In other words: unlock it with iron key]
["it" meaning it]
["it" meaning it]
But it isn't locked.
Note that UNLOCK IT WITH IRON KEY would have worked just fine.
- In all versions, at Hothouse, JUMP OUT WINDOW says, "You cut yourself
to ribbons on the broken glass.", but nothing happens to you.
- In all versions, if you WEAR the ring of ineptitude at
Ledge in Bottomless Pit or Mouth of Cave, you get, "As you slip
the ring onto your finger, you clumsily lose your grip, and plunge
downward. Wasn't that fun?" The last sentence happens because the
game tries to kill you by making you jump. --Marco Cavagna
- In all versions, if you are carrying the rooster and either
the worm or fox, and you go to the chessboard plain, FrobozzCo Offices
(above Floor 2), or Construction area, the one eats the other, even
though you're there. --Marco Cavagna
- In all versions, at Gaming Room, OUT takes you directly to West Wing,
bypassing Peg Room. --Marco Cavagna
<< Back to index
Page last updated
List maintainer: Nathan Simpson